Thursday, April 23, 2009

Do they have no shame...

...I've just finished my mid-terms exams for this semester. I do a written and a speaking portion of the test. The week before the test, I give the students a study paper with all the possible questions for the test, about 20 in all. And then for the speaking test, I'll pick 3 random questions, one from each unit. Most of the students at least glance over the sheet so they're kind of familiar with it but at least 2 or 3 students in each class don't even bother. They have no idea what I'm talking about and have this, shocked, kind of surprised look like they're never ever heard of this question before. I point it out to them, on the study sheet that I'm looking at when I ask my question. No sign of familiarity.

Anyway, whatever, they'll have to take the class again and it's not my money (of theirs) that they're wasting, but mom and dad. But is there no sense of embarrassment? Or shame? Of not wanting to look like a dumb-ass in front of your professor? Weird. I don't get it. Maybe they really just don't care.

No comments: