Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Presentations

So I've never really been one to do presentations in my classes. I did it the first semester and it was a bit of a flop, mainly because I think I didn't set out the ground rules clearly enough. And they were too long and the students were in groups, which didn't really work out so well in last-minute Korea. But I've brought them back. The students will each do a 90-120 second presentation, alone on a topic chosen from a list that of things that they've already studied. They will have to memorize it and can't use a paper to just read from. It will be worth 15% of their final grade.

I guess it will remain to be seen how it all goes down. It could potentially be really good for the following reasons:

1. The students will actually have to speak English, there's no way around it.

2. They could actually be quite interesting for the students to listen to, if they put effort into it.

3. It's quite an easy day for me, since the students are on stage and not me.

And the bad:

1. It could be horrible and tedious if the students put no effort into it.

2. The shy students will have nightmares I'm sure.

What do you think? What's your experience with this been?

No comments: