Sunday, March 28, 2010

The expert game

This is a fun intermediate/advanced conversation kind of activity. I get the students to write down 5 things that they are an expert in. I do my own list first by way of example. I'm an expert in:

1. Scuba Diving
2. Teaching English
3. Canada
4. Reality TV
5. Gardening

Once they've written their lists, I get them to circle the 3 that they think will be most interesting to the other students in the class. Next, divide them up into groups of 2 and give them about 5 or 6 minutes to ask some questions to their partner about things they are experts in.

I like this activity because I think people tend to forget they are actually talking English, if they're talking about stuff they're passionate about. And it's interesting because you can keep changing partners.

No comments: