Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Movie Review

It seems like every ESL book out there has a unit on movies.  And the 2 I used yesterday, Smart Choice 2 and Top Notch 2 are no exceptions (and by the way these 2 books get the official "My Life! Teaching in a Korean University Stamp of Approval." 

Anyway, if you're looking for an idea to make that movie unit a bit more interesting, since your students are likely a bit weary of it, is to have them do a movie review.  It's been a decent/fun time in all the classes that I've used it in. 

How it works: I put them in groups of 3 or 4 usually.  Then, they have to pick a movie that they've all seen.  They write down the movie name and genre.  They have to tell the movie story in 4 or 5 sentences.  Finally, they say if they liked the movie or not and if they'd recommend it, in 2-3 sentences. 

Then, they appoint one person from the group to read out their movie review to the class.  I'll give one participation point to each member of the group who has the most interesting, detailed and easy to understand presentation.

2 comments:

maryam said...

u r great. i wish my teacher will do the same when teaching us compare that read from books. boringg.hee

Jackie Bolen said...

Reading from books is so boring! I know students don't like it.