Tuesday, June 14, 2011

How much do your students pay in tuition?

An interesting article from the Joongang Daily about how much Korean uni students are paying in tuition, and the backlash against it.  The numbers thrown around are 6-7 million/year ($5500-6500 US) for tuition.  And this is for one of the top 3 unis in Korea (Korea University).  I know it's similar at my uni.

Anyway, I find the number extremely reasonable, especially when considering South Korea's feet are now stuck firmly in the first world, with one of the top 10 economies in the world.  I remember about 10 years ago, when I was going to uni in Canada, tuition was about that amount, or even more.  And why don't you try going to one of the Ivy Leaguers?  I'm sure the tuition would be 5-10 times (or even more) than students in Korea pay.  Kind of ridiculous.  But, protesting high tuition seems to a right of passage for students from all around the world!

1 comment:

littlepoo222 said...

Its gone up to 9,000 british pounds a month here at most universities in england jax!