Saturday, May 12, 2012

Top 5 Reason to NOT Teach ESL in South Korea

Although I'm generally happy here in Korea (due mostly to my job situation being such a good one.  Ie: getting paid in full/on-time, nice housing, respect from my bosses, no micro-managing, health insurance/pension being legit), it can be a tough place for newbies working at sketchy hagwons or dealing with public school co-teachers and sometimes shoddy housing.  I had a rough time in my first year in Korea for sure.  Anyway, if you need a dose of reality as to why Korea is not necessarily a land overflowing with kimchi and dwenjang, check out this site:

Top 5 Reasons to NOT Teach ESL in Korea

However, don't just take my word for it.  Check out some other teacher's stories and advice.

Prisoner of Wonderland
A-Z of Teaching in South Korea

And of course, check out The Top 5 Reasons to Teach ESL In Korea for a balanced view of things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess learning Chinese might be of more benefit than learning Korean, but I know for a fact that there are plenty of jobs available in the States if you actually manage to gain proficiency in Korean.

Also, some hagwon will reimburse you for fees you incur in doing your paperwork. Some won't. So try and pick a good one.