Monday, January 14, 2013

Student Evaluations

At my new uni, renewals are based almost exclusively on student evaluations.  This system really isn't ideal, because it's often the case that high evaluations don't exactly equal large amounts of learning.  For example, giving no homework, always finishing class early and grading easily will get you high evaluations but not necessarily be good for the students.  Anyway, I'm happy to report that I'm on the right side of 50%.  The bottom 50% of teachers, averaged out over the previous 4 semesters get cut, and the top 50% get renewed.  Nice!  One down, and 3 more to go.

My evaluations are very similar to those at my old uni.  I guess my system works wherever I am.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello, I'm an ESL teacher in Central Asia and stumbled across your blog. Our institute is switching curriculum next course, from Interchange to Touchstone. I read your review and am now a bit nervous about the switch. I hope that the material will work with our students!

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for blogging and for all the information!