Wednesday, June 4, 2014

English interview class-videos

One of my favorite homework activities for an "interview skills" class is to have the students make a video.  We practiced a few things in class like "self-introduction" and strengths/weaknesses and then for homework the students had to make a video of around 2-3 minutes answering these 3 questions.  I like it for the following reasons:

1. I have 40 students in my class.  Individual feedback is almost impossible in class.  I also have a chance to give them feedback before the final exam (a practice job interview).

2.  The students actually have to pull their stuff together instead of just bluffing their way through it like is possible in class.

3. It's kind of a high-pressure situation, like a job interview.

4. The students have a chance to see/hear themselves.  We've talked about things like body language, speaking with confidence, etc so my hope is that they can apply this to themselves.

5. It's kind of novel.  Korean students love using their cellphones!

Try it out!  But, one tip.  Don't have the students send you the actual file.  That's annoying and maybe bad for your computer.  Get them to put it on youtube or naver blog and send you the link.  It's reasonably easy and all students seem to be able to figure it out.  I tell the students that they can delete it as soon as I send them an email with their grade/comment.



No comments: