Tuesday, September 30, 2014

A small rant about night classes

teach reading
Night Classes: A Rant

A small rant:

At my uni, there is a program for students who have jobs, but want to get a degree in English, whereby they can do all their classes at night.  This, in theory seems like a good thing.  Working people can still go to uni too.  Except, a large majority of the students treat the class like it's kind of a drop-in thing and use all manor of excuses along the lines of, "I had to work!  I had a meeting! My work went late! I'm busy at work!" to miss a majority of the classes and not do any of the homework.  Most of them will eventually fail and then the admin at the uni will probably tell me just to pass them.

And, even the students who are actually full-time students and don't have jobs have started to use the same kinds of excuses for being late and not coming to class.  I'm so, so, so tired of it.  I hate excuses.  Either work long hours and do something like an online course or program.  Or, don't work and just go to school.  This working+studying thing, but not actually studying is annoying when it's me having to deal with it.

Check out this book if you want to get a University Job in South Korea





2 comments:

John from Daejeon said...

How long before these sketchy South Korean universities realize that just selling degrees isn't helping their international reputations? I'm sure the big three (SKY) don't do it, but as more of the lesser schools rely on foreign (mainly Chinese) students to make ends meet due to the dwindling South Korean student population, this forced passing for students who obviously don't deserve just to keep the doors open is only going to get worse.

Teacher Leo said...

Back in the days when I was first studying beyond school, my parents could not afford uni fees, so I worked by day and attended classes and studied at night. Not one of my profs would have accepted such excuses back then, and I don't see why you should.