Friday, April 10, 2015

It was....intense

interlocking puzzle
Crossword Puzzles for ESL Class

For my very advanced level conversation class, I rarely play games or do things like puzzles since they are extremely self-motivated students and are very happy to straight up study. But, one day only before the midterm exam, I had a review day. I used Discovery's Free Puzzle-maker site to build a crossword puzzle focused on the grammar and vocab that would be on the midterm exam.

The puzzle was really hard and I have to say that is was the most intense 40 minutes of almost my entire life. Maybe it helped that I gave out a little prize to the top 3 pairs?  Anyway, used sparingly, puzzles can be an excellent change of pace in your classroom and the introverted types usually love it.

Get more than 40 ESL games and activities, as well as lesson plans and other goodness delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up here.


No comments: